Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Opinion About Manga

By Naoki Iwadate


         I read One Thousand Years of Manga which was written by Brigitte Koyama-Richard. In this book she saysIn the eyes of many Westerners, manga are above all a vehicle for sex, violence, and gore.”(p.161) But, I disagree on this sentence. I think not all manga are a vehicle for sex, violence, and gore. I will show you some reasons.
        First of all, in a narrow definition, manga is trying to make you laugh. For example, when I read manga, I become happy and enjoy it. And so, when I talk with my friends about the pleasant contents in manga, I make them enjoy and laugh too. Thanks to manga, we can share pleasure. Dragon Ball is a very famous manga in Japan and all over the world. Sure, it has many fight scenes. And many Westerners say these scenes bring violence and gore. But, I don’t think these scenes are all that is bringing violence and gore. I think that’s not the whole story. Sure, many fight scenes are very exciting for us. But, it is so important for characters in this manga to finish the fight scene. It is because, thanks to fighting, the characters of this manga get along with each other after fighting. And they grow up after these scenes. So, I don’t think these scenes are all that is bringing violence and gore.
      Secondly, I think sexual scenes in the manga do not always bring such acts. Sure, sexual descriptions in the manga attract the interest of many young people. But, I don’t think these descriptions are all that are bringing sex. It is because I think there are manga which teach us sexual danger and morals through sexual descriptions. So, I think sexual descriptions in the manga do not always bring sex.
      As a result, I think not all manga are a vehicle for sex, violence, and gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment